Saturday, October 4, 2008

My favorite TV show... is a children's show...

Yeah, that's right, and what? A 22 year old girl can't love a children's show? You got a problem with that? Wanna fight about it? =) ('Family Guy' reference... hope someone got that...)

But yes, my favorite television show is a children's show. Don't worry, it's not a cartoon, there are no felt puppets and no educational purple dinosaur dancing and singing about. No. This weekly 45 minute children's show centers around the adventures of a 900 year old alien with no name from the planet Gallifrey, who travels about the universe fighting evil in his time traveling- phone box- shaped- spaceship called the TARDIS.

TARDIS = Time And Relative Dimensions In Space.

Cool, huh?

'Doctor Who' is probably my favorite television show... of the moment at least... and no, not just because of David Tennant... although, that point can be argued. But I loved the show way back when, when Christopher Eccleston played The Doctor (Yes, there has been more than one doctor... but i'll get to that in a second). At that time, I had no idea that 'Doctor Who' was such an iconic show in Britain. I think it has been on the air for something like 44 years now... the longest running television series in television history, I think I read once. Pretty cool feat if you ask me, especially considering that a television show now a days is considered a huge success if it can get past a few televised seasons... five being the huge milestone. Why? Because, five usually hold the coveted 100th episode, which means wonderful syndication rights.

But yes, 'Doctor Who.' What I love about his show is how freaking hilarious it is and how emotionally raw it can be. 'Doctor Who' can have me in stitches (check out the episode 'New Earth' or 'The Unicorn and the Wasp'), have me fanning my eyes at the sadness of it all ('Doomsday'), or have me wishing I wasn't watching the episode in the dark... alone... at night ('Blink' or '42'). Trust me when I say this is not your average children's show. The reason that it is categorized as a children's show is only because of it's narrative structure.

Good ol' 'Doctor Who'... I''m glad I stuck with it after Eccleston left. At the time, I had no idea that The Doctor had been played by nine different actors (including Eccleston), so when Tennant was brought on board as the tenth doctor, I thought it was the lamest, most stupidest recast in television history ('They look nothing alike!') At that point I hadn't seen the regeneration from Nine to Ten take place, haven missed a few episodes here and there, so I didn't know the face change was due to the fact that The Doctor cheats death by regenerating into a new body every so often. Anyway, I was against Tennant all the way, I hated him, and I hated his version of The Doctor... but now, I cannot imagine anyone else as The Doctor... he's brilliant. Though, I still miss Nine every once in a while... he was just... well... Fantastic!



Well, enough 'Who' talk... maybe I'll come back to it... him?.. it... at a later time, but for now, this is good. Check out the show if you ever get a chance... just, try to watch it on something good like the BBC or PBS, or one of its affiliates like BBC America, Sky, or even online if you can... just don't watch it on the SciFi network in America if you can help it. They butcher it on that network... I just don't understand why they feel the need to edit out key points... LOL, don't get me started on the SciFi Network... that's a rant for another time =)

Have a nice day, thanks for dropping by, and take good care! =)

No comments: